The IMS Border Gateway Test Suite was designed to test the IMS border gateway. It integrates the subscribers and the controller into a single flexible but easy-to-use GUI-driven test bed to perform numerous tests.
- 320 000 emulated endpoints and 320 000 active calls with RTP
- 2000 calls per second with media
- Supported codecs: AMR, ILBC, G.711, G.729, G.721, G.726, G.723, G.722, G.728, EVRC, EVRC-B, GSM-EFR, GSM-FR, GSM-HR, H.263, H.264, DTMF, etc.
- Extensive media analysis including path verification, theft of service, mean opinion score (MOS), perceptual evaluation of speech quality (PESQ), R-factor, jitter, delay, loss, etc.
- H.248/Megaco message definition (valid, invalid and proprietary) using a GUI or text-based editor
- Call flow creation (valid, invalid and proprietary)
- DHCP support
- Protocol state machine manipulation using a ladder diagram
- DTMF insertion and extraction testing
- IPv4/IPv6 support
- MRSP messaging
- TCP/UDP/SCTP support
- NAT traversal
- Complete test lifecycle coverage: feature, negative, load, regression, interoperability and scalability testing
- Security testing capabilities against theft of service and malicious attacks using rogue media, per-session policing, QoS monitoring and reporting as well as secure access to services
- BGF media testing capabilities for negotiating and transmitting several codecs simultaneously
The IMS Border Gateway Test Suite interacts with the SIP subscribers via the media plane and with the controller (SPDF/P-CSCF) with H.248/Megaco protocol based on the TISPAN extensions. In a deployed network, the media, SIP and Megaco signaling are synchronized.
Simulating and troubleshooting this environment in a lab to test the IMS border gateway before deployment can be a daunting task if multiple independent test boxes/applications are used to emulate the subscribers and the controller.